This moist fruit cake packed with juicy sultanas infused with mixed spices has been a firm family favourite for many years. Very easy to make with little preparation other than waiting for things to cook and cool!
- Place the butter, sugar, tea, sultanas, bicarb and mixed spice in a saucepan and heat till butter has melted
- Bring to the boil then simmer for 1 minute. The butter will make it quite foamy at this point.
- Take off the heat and leave to cool completely. The mix tends to stay radioactive for a while!
- Line an 8″-9″ cake tin
- Stir in the salt and eggs into the tea mix and mix well
- Add (or sift) the flour little by little, stirring well in between. Don’t worry if all you see is little tea covered lumps of flour. Have faith, keep stirring and adding the flour slowly and it will come together!
- Pour into the lined tin and bake in a preheated oven for 1hr 15mins – 1hr 20 mins at 180C (160C Fan)
You will need:
- 4 oz butter
- 6 oz sugar
- 14 oz sultanas
- 1 pint strong, hot tea
- 1 level tsp bicarb. soda
- 1 heaped teaspoon mixed spice
- Pinch salt
- 2 beaten eggs
- 8 oz self raising flour
- We use two tea bags to make the tea to ensure it’s strong enough and brew for 5 mins.
- Tweak the mixed spice to taste, we’re going to increase it slightly next time
- Check after 45-50 minutes to see if it needs covering
- Tastes even better the next day!